Home - News & Announcements

Posted on: August 25, 2017

Tour the Farm at Briggs - Boesch Farm

Briggs-BoeschFarm

Come see the pigs, chickens, ducks and turkeys and see how one of the historic farms in your community works!

When: Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 2 pm

Where: Briggs - Boesch Farm at 830 South Road (please park in parking lot by Briggs-Boesch white farm sign at trailhead, across from sudivision)

Important information: All ages welcome. Walk will be 1 - 2 miles over a variety of terrain on a working farm. Rain or shine. Contact jensuellentrop@yahoo.com with questions.


About Briggs-Boesch Farm


Originally purchased by John Briggs in 1672, with structures built as early as 1704 by his son Richard, the Briggs family owned and farmed in this area of East Greenwich (extending, at times, as far west as Narrow Lane) for some 180 years; the current farmhouse and the main bay of the barn are a classic example of a New England farmstead from this period. Since leaving the Briggs’ family control in 1850, the Farm has had 7 owners; most recently, the Boesch family who owned the current farm holding for almost 50 years. Besides the farm fields and varied woodland, the property contains several historic structures and an historic cemetery. In June 2003 the farmstead was added to the National Register of Historic Places.


The East Greenwich Municipal Land Trust purchased the 90 acre farm in October 2001. Currently, the Briggs-Boesch Farm serves as the southern anchor of the Town's greenway system, providing publicly accessible trails throughout the property's fields and forests. The Farm is also home to Pat's Pastured, a pasture-raised livestock farm operation across much of the property that promotes sustainable farming and vegetable cultivation. For more information, please visit www.patspastured.com.

Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email

Other News in Home - News & Announcements

parchment clip art

Planning Board Meeting Date Change

Posted on: September 15, 2017
Vote

National Voter Registration Day

Posted on: September 14, 2017
Image of 1939 Main Street

Town of East Greenwich Road Paving

Posted on: July 17, 2017
News1

Rhode Island Special Needs Registry

Posted on: July 17, 2017