The Planning Department is committed to promoting a well-designed, physically integrated, livable and prosperous community in East Greenwich. It provides the community with personal attention, accurate and detailed information, and timely responses in a manner that instills public trust and confidence while exceeding customer service expectations.
Please note: Recent amendments to the Land Development and Subdivision Review Regulations have changed the Fee Schedule.
2021 Planning Board Calendar
The Planning Department is updating the Town's Natural Hazard Mitigation Plan. For more information, please contact the Planning Department.
Natural Hazard Mitigation Plan Update workshop - June 2, 2021
The function of the Planning Department is to:
- Maintain the Zoning Ordinance, Land Development and Subdivision Regulations and all related maps that provide the policy and regulatory bases for land use and development as mandated by State and local laws.
- Advise the Town Manager, Town Council and its boards, commissions, residents, the business community and the general public on current land use and development issues.
- Facilitate the adoption of town goals and the achievement of those goals by continually maintaining the town's Comprehensive Plan.
- Review development applications to ensure compliance with East Greenwich standards.
- Is the Building Department part of the Planning Department?
- Where can I get a building, plumbing, electrical or mechanical permit?
- How do I find out if my property is in a flood zone?
- How do I find out about any planned amendments to the zoning ordinance or land development and subdivision regulations?
The State has approved the locally adopted Comprehensive Community Plan (PDF), which provides a planning framework for the Town of East Greenwich. It is the first 10-year approval granted to a municipality in the state.