EAST GREENWICH TOWN COUNCIL APPOINTS BERNARD L. PATENAUDE AS FIRE CHIEF
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 13, 2019
Contact: Joseph C. Duarte, Acting Town Manager
Telephone: (401) 886 - 8665
EAST GREENWICH, RHODE ISLAND – The East Greenwich Town Council is pleased to announce the appointment of Bernard L. Patenaude to the position of East Greenwich Fire Chief. Chief Patenaude joins the East Greenwich Fire Department after 39 years of service with the Cranston Fire Department where he served as the Assistant Chief of Department for the past nine years.
The selection process for a Fire Chief began in January 2019 with Joseph C. Duarte, Acting Town Manager, forming a group to advise him, comprised of the North Kingstown Fire Chief Scott Kettelle and Attorney Vincent Ragosta (E.G. Personnel Board Member). Ten (10) applicants were interviewed from a list of twenty four (24) applicants. Three candidates were selected for final interviews with the Town Council.
Highlights of Chief Patenaude’s career include:
- Oversight of the Cranston Fire Department staff of 206 employees with a $32 million budget.
- Fire Education and Training Board, Rhode Island State Fire Academy.
- Incident Command and National Incident Management System Certified.
- United States Coast Guard licensed Master of Vessels and a member of the Port of Providence Area Committee.
- Bachelor Degree in Fire Science from Providence College.
- Volunteer firefighter, East Greenwich District 1977-1981.
East Greenwich welcomes Chief Patenaude to the Town’s management team.
We also extend our gratitude to Acting Chief Mears for his hard work in supervising our fire-rescue services over the past several months. Job well done!