Consultant to Acting Town Manager
December 18, 2018
For Immediate Release
Contact: Joseph Duarte, Acting Town Manager 401.886.8676
Acting Town Manager Joseph Duarte and Town Council Select Michael D’Amico as Consultant to Acting Town Manager.
Upon the recommendations of Acting Town Manager Joseph Duarte and School Superintendent Victor Mercurio, the Town Council voted unanimously to appoint Michael D’Amico as a consultant to the Acting Town Manager, School Superintendent, Town Council and School Committee. D’Amico will fill the role of Town and School Finance directors and will also initiate and oversee the recruitment process for a new town manager, finance director, and fire chief. In addition, D’Amico will be involved in labor negotiations with the Town’s five labor unions for new contracts effective July 1, 2019. He will assist the Acting Town Manager with day to day operations and administrative duties until a permanent Town Manager takes office.
This position is a temporary assignment and Mr. D’Amico will not be considered for employment with the Town of East Greenwich when this assignment is completed. The Council estimates the need for a consultant for a total of 60-120 days.
Mr. D’Amico was selected from four applicants who responded to the Town’s Request for Qualifications. D’Amico’s consultant agreement is effective immediately and extends for 60 days, with an option to renew or renegotiate the contract at that time. Mr. D’Amico will be paid at an hourly consultant rate of $125/hr. without benefits. The consultant’s compensation will come from the re-allocated salaries of the vacant positions of Finance Director and Assistant to the Town Manager.
Mr. D’Amico’s response to the Request for Qualifications, interview and references were reviewed by the Town Manager, School Superintendent and Town Council. There was agreement that Mr. D’Amico possesses the best qualifications and experience for this consultant role.
The highlights of his experience include:
- BS Degree from Wharton School of Business and MBA in Finance from Villanova University.
- January 2011-March 2014 Director of Administration/Chief of Staff, City of Providence. Responsible for managing all municipal functions of the city on a daily basis, including Public Works, Parks, Economic Development, Inspections, Planning, Finance, IT, HR, with a total staff of approximately 1,000 employees. Re-negotiated four major union contracts.
- March 2014-Sept 2016 D’Amico Consulting
- Retained by City of Providence as advisor on annual $600 million budget for the City of Providence. Acted as lead negotiator for city administration on union contracts
- Retained by Coventry School District as interim finance director.
We look forward to working with Mr. D’Amico in his consultant role, and welcome him to East Greenwich.
Joseph Duarte, Acting Town Manager
Victor Mercurio, Superintendent of Schools
Town Councilors Caryn Corenthal, Michael Donegan, Renu Englehart, Mark Schwager, Michael Zarrella